Subject: Newtek BBS News: Stranahan Lives! - Motion Paths & Intuition
From: John DeNicola <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 14:41:13 -0800

[Message from NewTek Tech Support BBS]

From: STRANAHAN                        -To-: ALL
Subj: how can equalize velocity        Area: Comp.Graphic

----------------------------------------
one thing I never really understood is:  create a motion path from zero
to frame 30.  goto frame 15.  Make a keyframe.  Intuitively, this keyframe
should have no effect on the motion, since it was where the object would 
have seen anyway.

Actually, it does affect the motion (well, a better example would have
used 5 keyframes, but you get my drift.....)  --that is, the math does not 
agree with the intuition, and as usual, the math wins.  >8^(
---------------------------------------

I'm a moron, so I won't get into the SIGGRAPH paper that explains this,

But....

The intution is wrong, because the intuition is based on moving between
Keyframes in a straight line.  LightWave uses curves (splines), and once
uou think about it that way your intuition will be better attuned. In my
five seminars, I used to demonstrate this by walking around and pretending
to be an object 'thinking' about where I should go.....I looked foolish,
but it got the point across...

_____________________________________________
Lee Stranahan
URL - http://users.aol.com/stranahan/main.htm